Paper Flower Arrangements!

Hello!  Today I am sharing three flower arrangement projects I worked on this week inspired by the beautiful photographs in a book I had out on loan from the library:  Styling Nature - A Masterful Approach To Floral Arrangements by Lewis Miller - photography by Don Freeman (published 2016 by Rizzoli International Publications Inc.).  

My first challenge was making the planter urns to hold my "arrangements".  For the base of all three of the planter urns I used the 2 7/8" x 1 5/8" die from the Stampin’ Up!® Everyday Arches dies (item 164629) - I turned the die cuts so that the rounded arch became the bottom of the urn, and for two of the urns trimmed the bottom edge of the die cuts so that the urns became 2" tall.  For the bases of the urns I used two retired die sets:   Lighting The Way dies (item 160496 - featured in the May 2023-April 2024 Annual Catalogue), and the 2020 Sale-A-Bration Birthday dies (item 153590).  From the Lighting The Way dies I used the bottom portion of the lantern die cut; and from the Birthday dies I used the bottom portion of the cake stand die cut.  
For the lip or top edge of the urns I trimmed a strip of cardstock either 1/4" or 3/8" wide by just slightly longer than the width of the urn.  Using a stylus and scoreboard (Simply Scored Scoring Tool - item 122334) I scored decorative lines along the length of these strips.  I used a small corner rounder punch to round both ends of each of the strips.  For the handles on the tallest urn (third project) I used the bracket die from the Bordered In Beauty dies (item 167556).  
For the urns I used:  Balmy Blue cardstock (item 146982), shaded using Misty Moonlight ink (item 153118), Pecan Pie ink (item 161665), and Early Espresso ink (item 147114); Basic Beige cardstock (item 164511), shaded using Gray Granite ink (item 147118); and Gray Granite cardstock (item 146983), shaded using Gray Granite and Early Espresso inks.  For a little additional visual texture on the urns I lightly misted the shaded cardstock die cuts and trimmed lip strips with water using one of the Stampin' Spritzers (item 126185 - package of two), allowing to air dry.  After shading and misting the individual die cuts and trimmed strips I completed the assembly of the urns.
To complete my projects I used the following additional Stampin’ Up!® dies, and Designer Series Papers:
  • from the Online Exclusives Pretty Poinsettia dies (item 168146) I used the flower, large leafy stem, and flower center dies.  To make the large daisy flowers I snipped the die cuts made using the medium flower die so that I had a three-petal and a two-petal section - the two-petal section was usually further trimmed to make two single petals.  I glued the two-petal section - or the two single petal sections - under the three-petal section, and added a center that was die cut using one of the berry dies from the Sweet Bugs dies (item 167001).  From the Sweet Bugs dies I also used the two-leafed stem die, and the tiny flower trio die.  The Sweet Bugs stems were used with the small Pretty Poinsettia flowers; 
  • from the Fern & Flora dies (item 168991) I used two of the fern dies and the small four-leafed stem die.  I added the Sweet Bugs tiny flowers to the four-leafed stem die cuts;
  • from the Online Exclusives Help Me Grow dies (item 167166) I used both leafy stem dies, the "grasss/leaf/flower", and the small flower cluster dies;
  • from the Online Exclusives Rolling Waves dies (item 167144) I used the large leaf die, and for two flowers the small and large clam shell dies.  For each of the clam shell flowers I used four of the large clam shell die cuts, and three of the smalll clam shell die cuts - adding center die cuts made using the Pretty Poinsettia dies.  After shading the clam shell die cuts I used a ball-ended stylus tool to shape the "petals" before gluing the die cuts together to form the flowers;
  • from the Online Exclusives Scalloped Wishes dies (item 167452) I used both leafy stem dies; 
  • from the retired Encircled In Nature dies (item 163628 - included in the March 2024 Online Exclusives release) I used the two ivy dies;
  • for the background panel on the first project I used a Smoky Slate patterned paper from the retired Country Lace 12" x 12" Designer Series Paper (item 163415), adding for the "floor" a strip trimmed from the Gray Granite/white brick patterned paper from the retired Bloom Where You're Planted 12" x 12" Designer Series Paper (item 155696 - featured in the May 2021-April 2022 Annual Catalogue), which I also used on the third project; and
  • to cover the wood panel on the second project I used one of the plaid patterned papers from the recently retired Timeless Plaid 6" x 6" Designer Series Paper (item 164678).
For the foliage die cuts I used Lemon Lime Twist cardstock (item 144245), Granny Apple Green cardstock (item 146990), Garden Green cardstock (item 102584), Old Olive cardstock (item 100702), and Mossy Meadow cardstock (item 133676), all shaded using Mossy Meadow ink (item 147111).

For the Pretty Poinsettia flowers I used:
  • Crushed Curry cardstock (item 131199), shaded using Daffodil Delight ink (item 147094);
  • Petal Pink cardstock (item 146985), shaded using Calypso Coral ink (item 147101);
  • Highland Heather cardstock (item 146986), shaded using Misty Moonlight ink (item 1531118); and
  • Basic White Thick cardstock (item 159229), lightly shaded using Gray Granite ink (item 147118).
For the Sweet Bugs tiny flower trios I used Basic White Thick cardstock - no shading.

For the Help Me Grow cluster flowers I used:
  • Poppy Parade cardstock (item 119793), shaded using Real Red ink (item 147084);
  • Azure Afternoon cardstock (item 161719), shaded using Misty Moonlight ink (item 153118);
  • Highland Heather cardstock (item 146986) and Gorgeous Grape cardstock (item 146987), all shaded using Misty Moonlight ink;
  • Crushed Curry cardstock (item 131199), shaded using Daffodil Delight ink (item 147094); and
  • Petal Pink cardstock (item 146985), shaded using Calypso Coral ink (item 147101).
For the Sweet Bugs berry flower centers used on the large Pretty Poinsettia daisies I used:
  • Pecan Pie cardstock (item 161717), shaded using Early Espresso ink (item 147114) - used on the Crushed Curry cardstock flower; and
  • Crushed Curry cardstock (item 131199), shaded using Pecan Pie ink (item 161665) - used on the Highland Heather and Basic White cardstock flowers.
For the Pretty Poinsettia flower center die cuts I used Basic Black cardstock (item 121045).

I used Small Blending Brushes (item 160518) and the finger Sponge Daubers (item 133773) to apply the Classic Stampin' inks for the shading of the cardstock die cuts.
Behind the planter urns and portions of the flower arrangements I used strips trimmed from Foam Adhesive Sheets (item 152815).

In addition to the Simply Scored Scoring Tool (item 122334) I used the following basic tools and supplies to complete my projects this week:
  • Paper Trimmer (item 152392) for trimming cardstock and Designer Series Paper;
  • Stampin' Cut & Emboss Machine (item 149653) for all die cutting;
  • Take Your Pick Tool (item 144107) - the tacky putty tip is definitely a great help for picking up and placing small die cuts and embellishments; and
  • for the main adhesive, Multipurpose Liquid Glue (item 110755).
On with the projects!
For the first project I began with a black plastic arch frame from Dollar Tree, sized to accomodate a 5" x 7" photo, glass removed.  I covered the light weight cardboard panel, trimmed to fit the inside back dimensions of the frame, with the Country Lace and Bloom Where You're Planted Designer Series Papers.  Across the top edge of the Bloom Where You're Planted DSP strip I added a 1/4" wide strip of Basic Black cardstock (item 121045), along the length of which I had scored a decorative line (at 1/8" on the 1/4" side).  To each center of the two small Pretty Poinsettia flowers I added one of the small Daffodil Delight dots from the recently retired Muted Palette Dots (item 165155).

For the second project I began with a thrift store wood shadow box frame, inside dimensions of 6 11/16" square, and a 5 7/8" square x 3/8" deep dollar store wood panel.  I cut a piece of Basic Black cardstock (item 121045) to cover the inside back panel of the frame, before gluing on the wood panel that I had covered with the Timeless Plaid DSP.  Although it doesn't really show I also covered all edges of the wood panel with strips trimmed from a co-ordinating piece of the Timeless Plaid DSP - I used a fine grit sandpaper to lightly distress the edges of the DSP panel and strips.  To the center of the Rolling Waves clam shell flower and to the centers of each of the two small Pretty Poinsettia flowers I added one of the small Petal Pink dots from the recently retired Dear Dots (item 165848).

For the third project I began with one of the Dollar Tree house-shaped shadow boxes measuring 7 1/4" tall x 3 3/4" wide x 1 1/4" deep. The one used for this project was actually a cast off from another project, and after using white acrylic paint as a base coat over the paper that had been used to cover the front panel and sides I applied crinkled up white tissue paper to the front and sides.  After the glue used to adhere the tissue paper was dry I applied another coat of the white acrylic paint, and after the paint was dry sprayed over it with a mixture of Gray Granite ink refill (item 147171) and water.  After allowing the ink refill/water to dry I wrapped the 1 1/2" wide strip of the Bloom Where You're Planted DSP around the sides and front.  Along the top edge of the DSP strip I added a 1/4" wide strip of Basic White Thick cardstock (item 159229), along the length of which I had scored a decorative line (at 1/8" on the 1/4" side).  To the center of both the Rolling Waves clam shell flower and the small Pretty Poinsettia flower I added one of the small Petal Pink dots from the recently retired Dear Dots (item 165848). 

And finally . . . 

For my Archie card project this week, shared at the bottom of this blog post, I used VersaFine Clair Nocturne ink to stamp the image and sentiment from the retired Pretty Kitty stamp set (item 141864 - featured in the 2018-2019 Annual Catalogue) on watercolour paper, and used Pumpkin Pie ink (item 147086), Garden Green ink refill (item 102059), Real Red ink (item 147084), and Gray Granite ink (item 147118) to colour the image.  To cut the sentiment banner for the inside panel I used the Stylish Shapes dies (item 159183), tearing each end.  I used Basic White Thick cardstock (item 159229) for the base of the 5" square top-fold card, and for the 4" square framing mat.  Before using the 2 1/8" square die from the Stylish Shapes dies to cut the window opening in the framing mat I glued on a 2" wide strip of a Garden Green patterned paper from the recently retired Online Exclusives Hobby Haven 12" x 12" Specialty Designer Series Paper (item 167201).  I added a 1 1/2" strip of this DSP to the inside panel before adding the sentiment banner that I had matted with a small piece of Basic Black cardstock.  I used double-sided tape (Tear & Tape Adhesive - item 154031) to first attach the window framing mat over the image panel, and then the framed image panel to the 4 1/8" square Basic Black cardstock (item 121045) panel and the 4 1/4" square Garden Green cardstock (item 102584) panel.  I used strips trimmed from Foam Adhesive Sheets (item 152815) to attach the framed and fully matted image panel to the card front.  To complete the card front I added four images fussy cut from the Hobby Haven DSP, and two small and three large Garden Green dots from the recently retired Dear Dots (item 165848).  
Thank you for visiting my blog!  I had a lot of fun doing some paper flower arranging!

Unfortunately the Fern & Flora dies (item 168991) are currently out of stock but Stampin' Up! expects that they will again be available for ordering the week of August 3, 2026.

If you are interested in purchasing any of the available Stampin’ Up!® products I have used in my projects, and you live in Canada and do not have a Stampin' Up! demonstrator, please do not hesitate to visit my online store found on my website https://archiesatelier.stampinup.net/ at your convenience, or simply click under the "Shop With Me" tab on the right sidebar of my blog, which will take you directly to my website and online store.  I very much appreciate your business, and would be very pleased to be your demonstrator! If you need any assistance please do not hesitate to contact me (lmccoyarchie@gmail.com), and I will try my best to help!  The digital version of the May-August 2026 Catalogue is available for you to access at your convenience on my website.  If visiting the online store don't forget to check out the full range of Online Exclusives Products - including all the new products released on July 1st, including the Woodland Wishes stamp set (item 168243) - as well as the Last Chance Products Listing!  A reminder that all Last Chance Products are available only while supplies last!

Have fun creating!

Laurel

*It has come to my attention that quite often email correspondence from me is delivered to the recipient's spam or junk mail folder - if you have corresponded with me I have replied so be sure to check your spam or junk mail folder!  Thank you!! 
Crafting - like life - can definitely be messy, but what better a companion could we ask for?





































Comments