Under The Witch's Hat!
Hello! Today I am sharing a few Halloween projects I worked on this week - each featuring a witch's hat. For the hats (which are 2 1/2" tall with a 3" diameter circle brim) I first used my hands to crumple up Basic Black cardstock (item 121045) that I had liberally spritzed with water using one of the Stampin' Spritzers (item 126185 - package of two). After ironing the cardstock I used a 5" circle die from my stash to cut a circle that, cut in half, would become the cone of the hat. If you don't have a 5" circle die you could certainly trace around any circular object such as a plate with the same approximate diameter and cut out using scissors. I used my Bone Folder (item 102300) to gently curve each of the half circle shapes to make forming the cone a little easier. Along the straight edge of each half circle I marked the center point and then curved the cardstock to form the cone shape, the curved edge of the half circle shape is the base of the cone, and used glued to adhere the overlapping cardstock flaps - there is a fair amount of overlap at the base of the cone and I tried to make sure the bottom of the overlapping pieces were as even as possible. I used the largest circle die from the Stylish Shapes dies (item 159183) to cut the brims from the crumpled and ironed Basic Black cardstock. I added a fine bead of glue around the base of the cone, and then applied a little pressure with my hands to adhere the cone to the center of the brim die cut. For some of the hats I used one of the finger Sponge Daubers (item 133773 - package of five) to lightly apply White Craft Ink (item 147277) over the cone and brim to help accentuate the texture that was created by crumpling the cardstock.
On several of the projects I used 1/2" white seam binding ribbon and or cheesecloth that I had coloured by spraying with a mixture of Basic Gray ink refill (item 149166) and water. In one of the Stampin' Spritzers I mixed several drops of the ink refill with water. Before spraying either the ribbon or cheesecloth with the ink refill mixture I first sprayed the ribbon or cheesecloth with clean water. To dry the coloured ribbon and cheesecloth I used my heat gun (Heat Tool - item 129053).
To complete my projects this week I used the following Stampin’ Up!® Designer Series Papers, stamp sets, and additional dies:
- on the "Quote the Raven" treat box text patterned paper from the Nature Walk 12" x 12" Designer Series Paper (item 166912), combined with a Pretty Peacock patterned paper from the retired Magic In This Night 12" x 12" Designer Series Paper (item 153517 - featured in the August-December 2020 Mini Catalogue);
- on the "Boo to you" explosion treat box I used the cobweb patterned paper and the framed count image from the retired Monster Bash 12" x 12" Designer Series Paper (item 150447 - featured in the 2019 Holiday Catalogue), as well as a panel on the top of the lid of the box from a grayscale patterned paper from the retired Online Exclusives Spooky Sweet 12" x 12" Specialty Designer Series Paper (item 166191);
- on the "Boo!" treat box I used panels and strips trimmed from the two Basic Black and Basic Gray striped patterned papers from the retired Black & White Designs 12" x 12" Designer Series Paper (item 159861 - featured in the July-December 2022 Mini Catalogue). I also used a panel of the alternating striped patterned paper on the inside bottom panel of the explosion treat box;
- from the Online Exclusives Raven's Tale stamp set (item 168245) and Oh My Fright stamp set (item 168169) I used, respectively, the "Quoth the Raven" sentiment and "Boo to you" sentiment, both stamped on watercolour paper using VersaFine Clair Nocturne ink;
- from the Online Exclusives Pretty Poinsettia dies (item 168146) I used the small detailed flower and flower center dies;
- from the Sweet Bugs dies (item 167001) I used the small flower trio die - theses small flowers were added to the Fern & Flora dies (item 168991) four-leafed stem die cuts;
- from the Online Exclusives Oh My Fright dies (item 168175) I used the tree, bat, and curlicue with stars dies. The tree die cuts were trimmed so that parts were used as branches, and the base of the tree - turned upside down - was used as the stem for a pumpkin ;
- from the Bordered In Beauty dies (item 167556) I used the tag die to cut the "Boo to you" sentiment tag;
- from the retiring - and currently available as one of the Last Chance Products - Scalloped Wishes dies (item 167452) I used the large detailed ornate frame die, the larger of the two leafy sprig dies, and, for the pumpkin base I used three ovals, each of which are the center cuts from the small detailed ornate frame die;
- from the retired 2025 Online Exclusives Fright Night dies (item 166106) I used the "Boo!" die;
- from the retired Bag Of Bones dies (item 162218 - featured in the September-December 2023 Mini Catalogue) I used the full skeleton and bow tie dies - no Halloween project making session is complete without at least one skeleton!💀;
- from the retired 2024 Online Exclusives Potions & Spells dies (item 164141) I used the slime edge and bubble dies; and
- from the retired Online Exclusives Encircled In Nature dies (item 163628) I used the ivy/oak leaves and branch dies.
I used another favourite technique - faux metalic die cuts - for several die cuts. I cut the Fright Night "Boo!", the Scalloped Wishes ornate frame, and the Oh My Fright bats and curlicue with stars from Basic Black cardstock that had been covered with thin silver foil tape. After using a fine grit sandpaper to "rough up" the surfaces of the die cuts I rubbed black acrylic paint over the die cuts.
For shading cardstock and watercolour paper die cuts I used Small Blending Brushes (item 160518 - package of three), and finger Sponge Daubers (item 133773 - package of five) to apply Classic Stampin' inks to the die cuts.
Just a quick note about the additional basic tools I used to complete my projects this week:
- Stampin' Cut & Emboss Machine (item 149653) for all die cutting;
- Paper Trimmer (item 152392) - for trimming cardstock and Designer Series Paper, and for scoring fold lines. To ensure crisp folds I also burnish all scored fold lines with my Bone Folder (item 102300);
- Multipurpose Liquid Glue (item 110755) as the main adhesive; and
- Take Your Pick Tool (item 144107) - the spatula and tacky putty tips are definitely a great help for manipulating and placing small die cuts and embellishments.
On with the projects!
For these two little decor projects I used plastic jack-o-lantern and cauldron handled treat holders that I picked up a few years ago at Dollar Tree (they came in packages of I belive four) - and each measure approximately 2 1/4" tall x between 2 1/2" and 2 3/4" in diameter. After removing the plastic handles I painted each with a base coat of black acrylic paint, then dry brushed using orange acrylic paint for the the jack-o-lantern, and white acrylic paint for the cauldron. For the base of each project I used an approximately 3 3/4" in diameter decorative wood slice from Dollarama. The various mosses that I used for additional decoration can also be found at the dollar stores. I did use hot glue to secure the mosses. After completing the dry brushing I glued the hats to the tops of both the jack-o-lantern and cauldron using Multipurpose Liquid Glue and then completed the decoration.
Additional supplies used to complete the jack-o-lantern project:
- Cajun Craze cardstock (item 119684), shaded with Pecan Pie ink (item 161665), for the Pretty Poinsettia and Sweet Bugs flower die cuts;
- Old Olive cardstock (item 100702), shaded with Mossy Meadow ink (item 147111), for the Encircled In Nature and Fern & Flora foliage die cuts;
- Crumb Cake cardstock (item 120953), shaded with Crumb Cake ink (item 147116) and Pecan Pie ink, for the Oh My Fright branch (tree) die cut; and
- to the center of each of the three Pretty Poinsettia flower die cuts I add one of the large Early Espresso dots from the very recently retired Earthy Matte Dots (item 167213).
Additional supplies used to complete the cauldron project:
- Granny Apple Green cardstock (item 146990), shaded with Mossy Meadow ink (item 147111), for the four Potions & Spells slime edge die cuts glued around the rim of the cauldron, and the Potions & Spells bubble die cuts. After inking the die cuts I lightly sprayed them with water using one of the Stampin' Spritzers (item 126185), allowing them to air dry;
- Gray Granite cardstock (item 146983), shaded with Gray Granite ink (item 147118), Pecan Pie ink (item 161665), and Early Espresso ink (item 147114), for the Pretty Poinsettia flower die cuts, and Encircled In Nature foliage die cuts; and
- Basic Black cardstock (item 121045) for the Pretty Poinsettia flower center die cuts.
To complete this lidded box that measures 4 3/4" tall x 2 5/8" x 2 5/8" I used the following additional supplies:
- for the box base a 7 3/8" x 11" piece of Basic Black cardstock (item 121045), scored on the 11" side at 2 5/8", 5 1/4", 7 7/8", and 10 1/2" (1/2" tab is the glue tab); and scored on the 7 3/8" side at 2 5/8" (bottom flaps);
- for the lid a 4 11/16" x 4 11/16" piece of Basic Black cardstock, scored at 1" on all four sides;
- the Black & White Designs DSP panels for the front, back, and sides of the box, and the strips for the front, sides, and back edges of the lid were trimmed to be 1/8" smaller than their corresponding cardstock panels (allowing for a 1/16" border on all sides). All edges of the DSP panels and strips were sponged with Basic Gray ink (item 149165);
- Cajun Craze cardstock (item 119684), shaded with Pecan Pie ink (item 161665), for the Pretty Poinsettia flower die cuts;
- Cajun Craze cardstock, shaded with Early Espresso ink (item 147114), for the Bag Of Bones bow tie die cut;
- Basic Black cardstock for the Oh My Fright branch (tree) die cuts, and the Pretty Poinsettia flower center die cuts;
- watercolour paper, shaded with Gray Granite ink (item 147118), for the Bag Of Bones skeleton die cut. After gluing the skeleton die cut to the Scalloped Wishes frame die cut and trimming off the bottom of the leg (inside the frame) I trimmed a piece of the crumpled and ironed Basic Black cardstock for the frame's back panel; and
- I added six of the small Cajun Craze dots from the recently retired Earthy Matte Dots (item 167213) as "berries" to the Oh My Fright branch die cuts.
Additional supplies used to complete this 2 1/2" square explosion treat box (that holds four snack-sized chocolates):
- for the box a 7 1/2" piece of Basic Black cardstock (item 121045), scored at 2 1/2" on all four sides - after scoring, the four corner panels are cut away leaving four "arms" of equal length (https://archiesatelier.blogspot.com/2024/12/festive-favours-hello-today-i-am.html);
- for the lid a 4 9/16" square piece of Basic Black cardstock, scored at 1" on all four sides;
- Highland Heather cardstock (item 146986), shaded with Basic Gray ink (item 149165), for the Pretty Poinsettia flower die cuts;
- Gray Granite cardstock (item 146983), shaded with Gray Granite ink (item 147118) and Early Espresso ink (item 147114), for the Oh My Fright branch (tree) die cut;
- Basic Black cardstock for the Oh My Fright bat, and Pretty Poinsettia flower center die cuts;
- watercolour paper, shaded with Gray Granite ink and Crumb Cake ink (item 147116), and lightly misted with water and blotted dry with a paper towel, for the Bordered In Beauty tag die cut. I stamped the sentiment before die cutting the tag and doing the shading and water misting. I used my Bone Folder to lightly curl the completed tag. I used a piece of waxed black cord from my stash to tie the tag to the center of the coloured seam binding ribbon bow;
- the Monster Bash, Spooky Sweet, and Black & White Designs DSP panels and strips for the exterior and interior panels of the box, and the top and sides of the lid, were trimmed 1/8" smaller than their corresponding cardstock panels. The framed count image from the Monster Bash DSP was fussy cut and glued over the Black & White Designs DSP panel on the bottom of the inside of the box. All edges of the DSP panels and strips were sponged with Basic Gray ink (item 149165); and
- to the centers of each of the Pretty Poinsettia flower die cuts I added one of the small dots from the recently retired Adhesive-Backed Textured Dots (item 163338).
One of the advantages of Multipurpose Liquid Glue is that it can also function as a repositionable or temporary adhesive. To attach the four chocolate bars to the inside panels of the box I first applied a small circle of the glue to the back of the wrapped chocolate bars. By allowing the glue to dry before adhering the glued surface to another surface the glue remains just sticky enough to provide sufficient adhesion without forming a permanent bond with the other surface. The glued object can easily be removed without damaging the other surface, which is perfect for this project!
Additional supplies used to complete this lidded treat box that measures 3 1/2" tall x 2 1/2" wide x 2 1/2" deep:
- for the box a 6" x 10 1/2" piece of Basic Black cardstock (item 121045), scored on the 10 1/2" side at 2 1/2", 5", 7 1/2", and 10" (1/2" tab is the glue tab); and scored on the 6" side at 2 1/2" (bottom flaps);
- for the lid a 4 9/16" square piece of Basic Black cardstock, scored at 1" on all four sides;
- Pecan Pie cardstock (item 161717), shaded with Pecan Pie ink (item 161665), for the Pretty Poinsettia flower die cuts, and the Scalloped Wishes pumpkin die cuts;
- Gray Granite cardstock (item 146983), shadedd with Gray Granite ink (item 147118), Crumb Cake ink (item 147116), Pecan Pie ink, and Early Espresso ink (item 147114), for the Encircled In Nature, Scalloped Wishes, and Oh My Fright die cuts;
- the Magic In This Night DSP panels and strips for the front, back and sides of the box, and the top and sides of the lid, were trimmed 1/8" smaller than their corresponding cardstock panels. All edges of the DSP panels and strips were sponged with Basic Gray ink (item 149165);
- three 3" x 2" panels of the script patterned Nature Walk DSP for the sides and back panels of the box - all edges of these DSP panels sponged with Early Espresso ink;
- Pecan Pie ink to sponge the edges and torn ends of the trimmed sentiment strip (and the back of the overhanging ends of the strip);
- strips trimmed from Foam Adhesive Sheets (item 141825) to attach and slightly "pop up" the pumpkin die cut on the front panel of the box; and
- to the center of each of the double Pretty Poinsettia flower die cuts I added one of the large Pecan Pie dots from the recently retired Earthy Matte Dots (item 167213), and to the center of the single Pretty Poinsettia flower die cut I added one of the small Pecan Pie dots.
And finally . . .
For my Archie card project this week, shared at the bottom of this blog post, I used VersaFine Claire Nocturne ink to stamp the images from the retired Online Exclusives Pets & More stamp set (item 163607), on watercolour paper. To colour "Archie" I used Pumpkin Pie ink (item 147086), and Real Red ink (item 147084). The paw image circle was die cut using the smallest circle die from the Stylish Shapes dies (item 159183). I used Basic White Thick cardstock (item 159229) for the base of the 3 5/8" x 3" top-fold card. Across the front panel of the card I glued a 1" x 3" strip of a Pumpkin Pie patterned paper from the retired Spooky Sweet Specialty DSP, over which I glued a 1/4" wide strip of the alternating striped patterned paper from the retired Black & White Designs DSP. After using my retired Basic Black Stampin' Write Marker to add splatters to the card front I used the second smallest of the rounded rectangle dies from the Nested Essentials dies (item 161597) to cut the window opening. I used double-sided tape (Tear & Tape Adhesive - item 154031) to secure the coloured image panel behind the window opening, and glue to attach the die cut paw image on the right side of the card front. On the inside of the card I added a 3 1/2" x 2 7/8" panel of the Spooky Sweet DSP behind the coloured image panel, and along the bottom of the opposite panel added 1/2" wide and 1/4" wide strips of, respectively, the Spooky Sweet DSP and the Black & White Designs DSP.
Thank you for visiting my blog! I had a lot of fun with my "Under The Witch's Hat" projects this week!
Witchy Whimsy Hat Kit
If you are interested in a larger witch's hat project Stampin' Up! has introduced a new kit this month: The Witchy Whimsy Hat Kit (item 168672) includes the following components to complete the pre-designed project:
- 14" tall witch's hat;
- printed pre-cut pieces;
- paint;
- ribbon;
- cheesecloth;
- embellishments;
- pins;
- wire;
- sponge dauber; and
- adhesive - excluding hot glue that is recommended to complete the project. I have included above a link to the Stampin' Up! video demonstrating the steps involved in the completion of the kit project.
September Product Of The Month
The Luxe Foliage 12" x 12" Specialty Designer Series Paper (item 168599) is the September Product Of The Month, and includes a total of twelve sheets, four sheets each of three single-sided gold foil designs on base colours of Pecan Pie, Peaceful Pine, and Secret Sea. This exclusive Product Of The Month is now available, while supplies last, for purchase for $7.00 CDN with a purchase of $100.00 CDN or more (before applicable taxes and shipping, and after the redemption of any Stampin' Rewards or other discounts) of Stampin’ Up!® products made during the month of September. There is a limit of one Product Of The Month purchase per month per Stampin' Up! account holder.
Unfortunately the Stampin' Cut & Emboss Machine (item 149653) is not currently available, but Stampin' Up! advises that it is expected to again be available for ordering the week of October 26, 2026 - but hopefully sooner!🙀
If you are interested in purchasing any of the available Stampin’ Up!® products I have used in my projects, and you live in Canada and do not have a Stampin' Up! demonstrator, please do not hesitate to visit my online store found on my website https://archiesatelier.stampinup.net/ at your convenience, or simply click under the "Shop With Me" tab on the right sidebar of my blog, which will take you directly to my website and online store. I very much appreciate your business, and would be very pleased to be your demonstrator! If you need any assistance please do not hesitate to contact me (lmccoyarchie@gmail.com), and I will try my best to help! The digital version of the September-December 2026 Catalogue is now available for you to access at your convenience on my website. If visiting the online store don't forget to check out the full range of Online Exclusives Products - including all the new products released this month - as well as the Last Chance Products Listing! A reminder that all Last Chance Products are available only while supplies last!
Have fun creating!
Laurel
*It has come to my attention that quite often email correspondence from me is delivered to the recipient's spam or junk mail folder - if you have corresponded with me I have replied so be sure to check your spam or junk mail folder! Thank you!!








.webp)
.webp)
.webp)
.webp)

.webp)

.webp)
.webp)
.jpg)




































%20finished%20project.webp)
%20kit%20contents.webp)


.jpg)


Comments
Post a Comment